- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced (I used 5)
- 4 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained (I wanted red beans but didn't have any) and any legume you like will work as long as they are fully cooked.
- 1 cup baby carrots cut in half
- 1 cup frozen full green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated (use less if dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- fresh ground cinnamon to taste-I used 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- a few chopped chili peppers (depends on the heat you want)
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- chopped peanuts
- one lime-wedged
Heat oil in skillet and add onion and garlic. Sweat these for 5 minutes over medium heat. Place onion mixture in slow cooker adding sweet potato and other ingredients. Cover and cook on slow for 8 hours or until tender.
Spoon out 1 cup of liquid into a small bowl and add 3 tablespoons of peanut butter,using whisk to blend out any lumps. Stir into hot stew evenly. Top each serving with chopped peanuts and a lime wedge squeezed over the top.
Serve with spinach salad and crusty bread. Protein 11 grams, fiber 10 grams and 220 mg sodium based on 6 servings.